This is a post where I’m going to give you some recipes using apples!
As much as I love giving over organizing and de-cluttering tips, my WordPress statics say that y’all want more about all things kitchen, including meal planning and recipes. So, this post is all about cooking with apples.
Firstly, whatever I prepare is kid-friendly. Secondly, I don’t use crazy or exotic ingredients. Thirdly, these are my tried-and-true recipes that I use all the time.
Apples: apple sauce, apple kugel, oatmeal apple crisp
1/4 cup of sugar (or less)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla (can skip this)
- Wash, peel, core and slice apples
- Place all ingredients in a pot and cover apples with 1/2 inch of water
- cover and cook low-medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until soft
- remove apples with a slotted spoon an put in blender. add back some of the liquid to the apples. the less water you add, the less thick the applesauce will be.
*Notes: if there is extra liquid you didn’t put in the blender, you have apple juice. Enjoy.
You can also use pears instead of apples, or cook both together for apple-pear sauce
4 apples peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup of flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup of oil
- place apples on the bottom of a baking pan
- sprinkle with cinnamon
- mix eggs, vanilla, and sugar together with a fork. add flour baking powder and oil
- pour over apples
- bake for 350 F for 30-40 minutes
*Note: some people claim this should be a dessert and not a side dish
Oatmeal Apple Crisp
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
3/4 cup margarine
3/4 cup rolled oats
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- Grease a baking pan
- peel, core, and slice apples. place in the baking pan
- mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Mix in margarine until coarse crumbs form.
- stir in oats
- sprinkle over apples
- bake 35 minutes until apples are tender and crumb topping is crisp
*Note: I’ve also made this without the topping for a gluten-free option.
Happy cooking and thanks for reading.
The Klutter Koach