Moving is often both a STRESSFUL and EMOTIONAL experience. My family has moved four times in the past nine years so I know all too well.
Prior to a move and the brain has a zillion ‘tabs open’ so it’s easy to forget things on the to-do list. To help make it easier I created a MOVING CHECKLIST. This list is what to put in your OPEN FIRST BOXES.
There are other types of checklists like setting up utilities, mail service, etc. but this list is specific for items to SET ASIDE.
MOVING CHECKLIST: THE ‘OPEN FIRST’ BOX
Personal care items & clothing
- medication/ vitamins
- Toiletries, toothbrushes, toothpaste, feminine products
- 2 set of clothes for each person + Shabbos clothes, swimsuits
- Towels / washcloths / poofs
- toilet paper
Kitchen and Disposables
- paper towels
- cleaning wipes
- trash bags
- plastic cups/water bottles
- paper plates
- plastic silverware
- plastic bowls
- grab ‘n go snacks like granola bars or nuts.
- Ziploc baggies.
- Sponge, kitchen towel
- can opener
- knife, cutting board
- Pot, frying pan, strainer, stirring spoon, spatula. Have a set for meat and/or dairy
- laundry baskets
- shower curtain
- nightlight / Shabbos lamps
- power cord the kind that has multiple outlets
- phone chargers
- extension cords
- Something to hang over the windows if no window covering
- children’s special stuffed animal or blanket
- clock (if you don’t use phones)
- Plastic grocery bags (can be used as a trash bag in each room until trash cans arrive). Hang from door knob
- Challah board, challah cover, challah knife, kiddush cup, tea lights / candles / candle sticks, matches / lighter, havdalah candle, besamim
With each of our moves we downsized more and more. It’s a great opportunity to get rid of things that you don’t use or need any longer, plus to do a reality check of the “I might need it someday” items, which after doing some soul searching, you will realize you probably won’t need them at all.
I recommend using see-though plastic containers with lids for your OPEN FIRST BOX, but if they aren’t available and you are using cardboard boxes be sure to use bold-colored markers or stickers to demarcate the contents. If not transporting by moving truck, laundry baskets are another option.
For questions or suggestions to add to this list contact me email@example.com
Thanks for reading,
Karen, The Klutter Koach